Scallops with Wilted Fennel & Spinach
- 4 tsp (20 mL) canola oil
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and cut lengthwise into thin slices
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) VH® Teriyaki Cooking Sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated orange zest
- 1 bunch (5 oz) baby spinach, trimmed
- 1 lb (500 g) sea scallops, dried
- 2 Blood Oranges, segmented
- Heat half of oil in large non-stick skillet, set over medium-high heat. Add fennel; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/4 cup (60 mL) VH® Teriyaki Cooking Sauce and orange zest. Cook, stirring, until fennel is just tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in spinach; cook, stirring, just until spinach wilts, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to plate. Keep warm.
- Brush scallops with remaining VH® Teriyaki Cooking Sauce. Heat remaining oil in same skillet. Add scallops; cook for 3 minutes. Gently turn scallops over; cook until firm to the touch, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide fennel mixture among 4 plates. Top evenly with scallops. Pour any remaining juices over.
- Garnish plate with 2 to 3 orange segments.
When buying sea scallops, look for an off white creamy colour and a fresh sea scent. Ask your local grocery store purveyor or fishmonger if they have dry scallops, which means the scallops that have not been treated with any preservatives.