Pineapple Orange Chicken & Rice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) bone-in chicken thighs (with skin)
- 1/2 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) Uncle Ben's Long Grain Perfection® Rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each: diced sweet red and green peppers
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) VH® Pineapple Cooking Sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) slivered almonds, toasted
- Heat oil in large skillet with lid or electric frypan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook until browned on both sides. Remove from pan and discard skin if desired.
- Stir in chicken broth, Uncle Ben’s Long Grain Perfection® rice and peppers. Bring to a boil. Place chicken thighs on top of rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes until rice is tender.
- Stir in oranges and sauce. Heat through. Top with almonds before serving.
Variation: To spice this recipe up, try adding 2 seeded, chopped jalapeño peppers in step 2.
Chicken thighs in a tangy fruit sauce with rice,
topped with toasted almonds.