Perfect for Two General Tao Chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) VH® Soy Sauce
- 1 pouch (160 mL) VH® General Tao Sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornstarch
- 1/2 lb (250 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) canola oil
- 1 small onion, cut in half crosswise and then into 10 thin wedges
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) broccoli florets
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Basmati rice, cooked according to package directions
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, VH® Soy Sauce and 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of VH® General Tao Sauce. Whisk in cornstarch until well combined and liquefied. Stir in chicken pieces until well coated.
- In a wok set over high heat, heat oil until very hot, about 350° F. In batches, add chicken pieces. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per batch, until the chicken is deep golden and crunchy. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat until all of the chicken is done.
- Drain oil from wok, leaving 2 tbsp (30 mL) in wok. Add onion; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli, red pepper and 1/3 cup water. Cover and steam for 3 minutes or until broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp. Stir in remaining VH® General Tao Sauce; cook, stirring, for 1 minute until vegetables are well coated and sauce has begun to simmer. Stir in chicken until well coated and heated through, about 1 minute.
- Serve on top of rice.