- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 2 cups (500 mL) each diced onion, celery and carrot
- 6 cups (1.5 L) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 jar (341 mL) VH® Chicken Tikka Masala
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) long grain rice
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream (35%)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) toasted sliced almonds
- Heat oil in large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add celery, onion and carrots and stir-fry until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add broth, chicken breast pieces and VH® Chicken Tikka Masala Sauce; bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes, partly covered. Add rice to soup and continue cooking 15 minutes more.
- When rice is cooked, blend in apples, cream and fresh parsley. Simmer for 3 minutes. Pour into bowls and serve immediately. Garnish soup with toasted sliced almonds.
Try this soup with leftover cooked turkey instead of chicken. Try replacing the chicken broth with leftover turkey broth also!
Leftover cooked plain white rice can be used.
Need a vegetarian option? Try using canned lentils instead of chicken and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth!
A lively chicken soup, this westernized Indian version uses fresh and unique ingredients.