Jumpin' Coconut Shrimp
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 lb (500 g) shrimp, peeled but with tail left intact
- 1 cup (250 mL) VH® Soya Sauce
- In large deep skillet, heat about 1-inch (2.5 cm) of oil over medium high heat.
- In bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne. Stir in egg and 1/3 cup (75 mL) very cold water until smooth batter is formed. In separate bowl, combine coconut and breadcrumbs.
- Holding shrimp by the tail, coat well in batter. Roll in coconut mixture until well coated.
- Drop about 1/3 of shrimp into hot oil. Reduce heat to medium. Fry shrimp for 30 seconds. With tongs, turn over. Fry for another 20 seconds. Remove to parchment paper to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining shrimp.
- Serve with VH® Soya Sauce.