Hot & Sour Crock-Pot® Slow Cooker Soup
- 1 pkg shiitake or other dried mushrooms (about 3/4 cup or 14 g)
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken stock or broth
- 1/2 lb (250 g) Pork loin, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 lb (125 g) Extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 1 jar (341 mL) VH® Sweet & Sour Cooking Sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) rice vinegar, or to taste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ginger, minced
- hot pepper sauce, 4 to 10 drops, or to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Cornstarch
- sliced green onion, optional
- Rinse mushrooms under cold water and add to Crock-Pot® slow cooker. Add chicken stock, pork, tofu, sauce, vinegar, ginger, and hot pepper sauce. Stir, cover and set on low temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
- Just before serving, add peas. Drizzle beaten egg into broth without stirring. Mix cornstarch with 1 tbsp (30 mL) water and drizzle into hot broth stirring slowly until it thickens. Garnish with green onion if desired.
* If you would prefer to use VH® Sweet & Sour Sauce for Dipping for this recipe, use 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) and add 2 tbsp (30 mL) VH® Soya Sauce before slow cooking.