General Tao Chicken
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) VH® Soy Sauce
- 1 bottle (355 mL) VH® General Tao Sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cornstarch
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
- 2 cups (500 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, cut in half crosswise and then into 16 thin wedges
- 3 cups (750 mL) broccoli florets
- 1 sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup (250 mL) Basmati rice, cooked according to package directions
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg, VH® Soy Sauce and 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of VH® General Tao Sauce. Whisk in cornstarch until well combines and liquefied. Stir in chicken pieces until well coated.
- In a wok set over high heat, heat about 2 cups (500 mL) of oil until very hot, about 350° F. in batches, add chicken pieces. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per batch, until the chicken is deep lden and crunchy. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain. Repeat until all of the chicken is done.
- Drain oil from wok, leaving 2 tbsp (30 mL) in wok. Add onion; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in broccoli, red pepper and 2/3 cup water. Cover and steam for 4 to 5 minutes or until broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp. Stir in remaining VH® General Tao Sauce; cook, stirring, for 1 minute until vegetables are well coated and sauce has begun to simmer. Stir in chicken until well coated and heated through, about 1 minute.
- Serve on top of rice.
Plate a single serving on top of a bed or rice.
For extra colour and flavour, sprinkle chopped fresh coriander on top of dish before serving.
For a lighter version, omit coating the chicken in the cornstarch mixture and simply stir-fry in 2 tbsp (30 mL) of oil in wok.