Eggplant Stacks with Tomato and Mozzarella
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced in 12 slices about 1/2” thick
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Italian –style bread crumbs
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 2 cans (each 540 mL/19 oz) Aylmer® Accents Petite Cut Tomatoes with Garlic and Olive Oil, drained
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) VH® Medium Garlic Rib Sauce
- PAM® Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). In large skillet, heat 2 tbsp (30 mL) of oil over medium-high heat. Add a layer of eggplant; fry until lightly golden on both sides, adding more oil as needed, about 2 minutes per side. Remove eggplant to plate. Repeat process until all eggplant is golden. Place eggplant in single layer on foil lined baking sheet sprayed with PAM® Cooking Spray.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs equally over eggplant. Sprinkle cheese over bread crumbs. Place in preheated oven; bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden.
- Meanwhile, in small saucepan, combine Aylmer® Accents Petite Cut Tomatoes with Garlic and Olive Oil and VH® Medium Garlic Rib Sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove eggplant from oven; assemble stacks, starting with a piece of eggplant, then a dollop of tomato sauce. Repeat process and top with the third eggplant slice. Place any remaining tomatoes on plate. Serve warm.
This dish is great as a substantial appetizer or as a meal served with a crispy green salad and crusty bread.