Curried Vegetarian Stew
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cauliflower head, cut into florets (about 5 cups/1.25 L)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 1 jar (341 mL) VH® Coconut Yellow Curry
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken stock
- 1 bunch baby spinach leaves, trimmed
- 1/2 sweet red pepper, cut into short thin strips or cubes
- Heat oil in large deep saucepan set over medium-high heat. Add onion, fennel seed and pepper; cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower and potato until well coated with onion.
- Pour in VH® Coconut Yellow Curry and chicken stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in spinach and red pepper until spinach is wilted and red pepper is just fork tender, about 2 minutes.
Serve this fragrant vegetarian stew over Basmati or Thai Jasmine rice. One cup of raw rice will serve about 4 people.
For a Minted Yogurt Topping, stir together 1/2 cup (125 mL) yogurt, 3 chopped green onions, 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh mint and a pinch of salt. Serve a dollop with stew for extra flavour.