Curried Red Lentil Stew
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) canola or vegetable oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 jar (341 mL) VH® Tikka Masala Sauce
- 3 cups (750 mL) vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup (250 mL) red lentils, rinsed
- 3 carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) drained canned chick peas
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped spinach leaves, trimmed and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot over moderate heat; add onion and cook until lden brown.
- Stir in vegetable broth, VH® Tikka Masala Sauce and lentils and simmer on low heat, covered, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots and chick peas; reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes more or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach, peas and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve.
Add 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro for an added kick!
If desired, serve with brown rice or whole wheat cous cous.
Add extra water to thin the stew for a hearty vegetarian soup.
A great vegetarian winter warm-up.