Curried Beef and Lentils
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 lb (1 kg) stewing beef
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole tomatoes and their juices
- 1 bottle (341 mL) VH® Coconut Yellow Curry
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) lentils, drained
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby spinach
- Heat oil in pot set over medium heat and cook beef until well-browned, about 15 minutes. Remove beef from pot and set aside.
- Add tomato paste and onions to pot, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add beef, water, tomatoes and VH® Coconut Yellow Curry sauce. Cover and simmer over low heat for 60 minutes.
- Remove lid, add lentils and spinach and continue to cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Serve with boiled potatoes or crusty bread.
This recipe also works great with VH® Chicken Tikka Masala Sauce.
This dish would also do very well made in the slow cooker/crockpot.
This beef stew is heartwarming and healthy, the lentils are a healthy addition and taste great.