Crispy Noodles with “Honey Sriracha” Chicken
- 225 g (½ lb.) of instant egg noodles, rehydrated according to the manufacturer’s instructions
- 125 ml (½ cup) of vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, minced
- 8 Nantes carrots, cut into small strips
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) of ground ginger
- 5 ml of black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 225 g (½ lb.) of cooked chicken
- 225 g (½ lb.) of green beans, blanched and cut on the bias
- 60 ml (¼ cup) of VH soya sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) of homemade chicken broth (unsalted) or water
- 15 ml of cornstarch
- 125 ml of crushed sesame sticks for garnish
- 60 ml of green onion, cut on the bias for garnish
- 1 lime, cut into quarters for garnish
- 30 ml of honey sriracha (to taste)
- Rehydrate the chow mein noodles in hot water for 2 minutes. Cool, drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan or (preferably) a wok, sauté the vegetables and spices in oil until the carrots are crisp.
- Add the chicken, beans and noodles and mix well.
- Mix the broth, soya sauce and the cornflour and add to the wok. Mix well. Allow to cook on high until the broth is thick and a golden crust forms at the bottom.
- Place a serving dish over the wok and in one motion flip the skillet so that the crust is on the top. (Make sure that the sauce is adequately reduced.)
- Immediately garnish with the sesame sticks, green onion and a generous amount of honey sriracha.
**For an appealing variation, you can make individual portions, separating the recipe into four small pans.
***To liven up this dish, you may also add a roasted chicken breast half, lightly glazed with “honey sriracha” and honey. It’s “deluxe”.
Lobster may also be added to the noodles for an “ultra baller” version.