Butterflied Korean BBQ Chicken
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 lb/1.35 kg)
- 1 jar (355 mL) VH® Korean BBQ Sauce
- PAM® Grilling Spray
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Place chicken, breast side down, on cutting board. Using kitchen shears, cut chicken down each side of backbone; remove and discard backbone. Turn chicken over so that it is breast-side up. Flatten by pressing firmly on breastbone.
- Place chicken, breast side up, in 13 x 9-inch (3 L) baking dish. Pour all but 1/3 cup (75 mL) of VH® Korean BBQ Sauce over chicken, coating both sides well. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for at least one hour or up to 6 hours. Bring to room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Spray grill with PAM® Grilling. Place chicken bone-side down over indirect medium heat. Smother chicken with any sauce left in pan. Grill, covered, turning once, until juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together remainingVH® Korean BBQ Sauce, green onions, lime juice and fresh cilantro.
- Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving pieces and serving with dipping sauce.
To grill over indirect heat on a gas grill, place foil drip pan under one rack of a two burner BBQ. Heat other grill to medium-high heat. Place chicken on burner over pan. For a charcoal grill, place foil pan in centre of BBQ and arrange hot charcoals on either side. Grill chicken in centre of BBQ. This chicken can be baked in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 45 minutes.