Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 2-3/4 lbs (1-1/4 kg) beef short ribs, cut 2” (5 cm) thick and in portions with 2 bones each
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) Aylmer® Accents Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 jar (341 mL) VH® Medium Garlic Rib Cooking Sauce
- 3 cups (750 mL) baby carrots, peeled
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped, peeled potatoes
- 4 tsp (20 mL) corn starch
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. In batches, sear beef until browned on all sides, about 4 minutes per side.
- When beef is browned transfer to large pot along with Aylmer® Accents Fire Roasted Tomatoes, VH ® Medium Garlic Rib Cooking Sauce and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to boil; cover and place in preheated oven, cook for 1 hour.
- Remove pot from oven; stir in carrots, potatoes and 2 cups (500 mL) of water. Return pot to oven; cook for another 1-1/2 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- In small bowl, stir together corn starch and 1/4 cup (60 mL) water. Pour mixture into pot; bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook until liquid has thickened to sauce consistency. Serve.
As an alternative, replace the baby carrots with 2 cups (500 mL) peeled chopped carrots.